During the holiday season, we tend to put off purchases for ourselves until after the New Year. However, the New Year is going to be upon us next week! After we put up the season’s decorations, we usually take a fresh look at our homes. When this time comes, you may want to consider thinking about your mattress and its age. Today Nothing But Beds would like to help you have the knowledge to know whether it is time to get a new mattress or not by answering one of our most frequently asked questions, “How long does a mattress last?”
How Long Does a Mattress Last?
Mattresses are made up of different materials, and those variations do affect their longevity, but as a general rule, well-made mattresses should last between 7-10 years.
Factors that Impact the Lifespan of a Mattress
Here are some factors you should consider when deciding if you may need a new mattress for your bed.
- Frequency of Use: Naturally, anything that is rarely used will last longer, so it should not surprise you that your guest bedroom mattress will outlast the one you sleep on nightly.
- Body Weight: The heavier a person is, the more pressure they will exert on a mattress. Likewise, a lighter or average sleeper will exert less pressure on the components.
- Activity: Things such as eating and drinking in bed can cause severe damage to your mattress. Especially if you happen to spill something on it because that can create a breeding ground for mold and mildew.
- Cleaning: Think about how often your mattress has been cleaned because regular cleaning will keep it in good condition. Cleaning your mattress also gets rid of harmful bacteria, dust mites, and other allergens.
- Co–Sleeping Pets: We understand many of you allow your pets to sleep with you but use caution. Pets can easily damage your bed and reduce its lifespan due to accidents and their claws.
How to Check if You Need a New Mattress
The number one indicator that most people look for when they start to think about a new mattress purchase is how they feel in bed. When you begin to feel uncomfortable from back or neck pain, aches, or stiffness, it is most likely due to a poor mattress.
You can check visibly to see if it is time to replace your mattress as well. Visual indicators are if you notice sagging, lumps, holes, bumps, tears, and staining.
Often your nose will tell you as well, and we don’t mean by smell. Over time our mattresses collect a tremendous amount of allergens such as dust mites, bacteria, dander, and other debris. If you notice an increase in allergy symptoms or your asthma being triggered, it is time to throw out the old and in with the new!
Finally, if you find yourself sleeping better in places such as hotels, sofas, the recliner, or elsewhere that should be a red flag to you that there is a problem with where you sleep. Tossing and turning every single night is not common. On that note, if you begin to wake up regularly by feeling your partner toss and turn, it means that your mattress no longer reduces motion transfer.
New Year – New You!
The New Year is traditionally a time of reflection and renewal, so why not start it off by tossing out your old mattress and getting a new one? It will immediately improve your sleep, and with better sleep, you function better. Quality sleep is also essential for your overall mental health because it is during our sleep that our minds reset and recharge.
We at Nothing But Beds understand the importance of a good night’s rest, and that is why we offer the best prices around. We believe everyone should be able to have a quality bed at an affordable price. If you are shopping for a new mattress and have questions, contact us today, and you will see nobody beats a Nothing But Beds deal!